Meet Jane Evans

About Me

Meet Jane Evans

During college, I lived in a small, old house. My roommates and I loved it's cozy charm and, for the most part, didn't have any problems. However, one day, we noticed that the carpet in one of the bedrooms was wet--and it couldn't be dried. When we called our landlady and the repairman, they discovered that the shower not only needed to be re-caulked, but there was mold everywhere under the carpet. We had to move out for two weeks while they fixed the problem. Soon, thanks to the contractor (the likes of whom you can read about), we were back at home.


Latest Posts

What's Wrong With The Well? Well, Don't Wait To See!
22 August 2019

When something is wrong with your well, you need t

Hire An Electrician To Make Various Lighting Additions To Your Property
30 May 2019

When you looked at your house while it was on the

Three Tips To Help Prevent Damage To Your Roof
30 May 2019

Roofs with traditional asphalt shingles can be exp

Why You Won'T Regret A Shampoo And Soap Niche With Lighting
23 April 2019

Remodeling your shower enclosure gives you the abi

Four Ways Rolling Shutters Can Make Your Business More Secure
5 March 2019

As a business owner, you understand that security

How To Understand Flood Elevation Requirements In Your Area

Any kind of flooding can be devastating. Your home and household goods will be extensively damaged and you may even be forced to leave your home for some time. You need to protect your home against flooding, which is where flood elevation comes in.

Base Flood Elevation (BFE) shows the anticipated level of flood waters in your area in case of a flood. It gives requirements on how to protect your structures against floods.

Flood-prone areas are categorized into flood zones. Understanding flood elevation requirements starts with knowing your flood zone.

So how do you figure out your area's flood zone? You'll need to consult the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). It shows the different flood zones, along with their BFE.

You can access FIRM online at or at the municipal council office in your area that is responsible for issuing construction permits. Your insurer or real estate agent can also help you get the map.

Here's how to interpret the map.

Zone V

These are typically first-row beachfront properties. They lie below the BFE and are considered a Special Flood Hazard Area. If you live in this zone, you are required by law to have flood insurance and your home must be raised above the flood zone.

Zone A

This is also a Special Flood Hazard Area, which means the risk of flooding is very high. It typically designates areas near a water body such as a river or a lake.

The same regulations as those of zone V apply. The only difference here is that the building does not need to be elevated on posts or columns.

Zone X

Here, the risk of flooding is minimal. You are not required to have flood insurance.

Zone D

Zone D designates areas where studies have not been conducted but where there is still a risk of flooding.

If you live in a flood-prone area, you are required by law to get flood insurance. When getting insurance against flooding, premiums are determined by the elevation of your home in relation to the BFE.

You will need a flood elevation certificate. This is a document that shows your building's elevation.

Find out from your municipal council office if there is any information on elevation requirements for your property. If not, you may need to hire the services of a qualified surveyor, civil engineer, or architect to help you figure out the requirements.

Your flood elevation will affect your flood insurance premiums. Your area's flood elevation will vary depending on your flood zone. If you are in a high or moderate risk zone, you'll need to obtain a flood elevation certificate.